Two years ago, before outprocess, I approached Ryan to see if his vehicle could sit two passengers - one for me and the other for Eric. I was thick-skinned enough to ask Ryan on behalf of Eric. On hindsight, I was rather kaypoh. But if I did not help Eric to get a free ride, would he label me as a selfish person?
This morning, I messaged Eric to see if he would like to meet up with me and Ooi for lunch before heading to the Singapore Discovery Centre. He replied that he was taking Gerald's car. I wanted to ask him if he had asked Gerald for me but his response was quick - "U ask him whether got space or not? Den late lunch if u wan."
It took me by surprise. Why didn't he ask Gerald for me? Or at least let me know that he was getting a free ride from Gerald? Why was he being so secretive? Or was I expecting too much from a person I considered as friend? Or perhaps I was just a bunkmate to him and nothing more?
People are selfish. Not all, but some.
After having several bad encounters with people I considered friends, I always remind myself that I must not commit myself 100% to a friendship. I do not wish to harm my friend. Conversely, I do not want myself to be harmed too. Consequently, I know I will not have any true friends if I maintain this belief. But do I need them?
This morning, I messaged Eric to see if he would like to meet up with me and Ooi for lunch before heading to the Singapore Discovery Centre. He replied that he was taking Gerald's car. I wanted to ask him if he had asked Gerald for me but his response was quick - "U ask him whether got space or not? Den late lunch if u wan."
It took me by surprise. Why didn't he ask Gerald for me? Or at least let me know that he was getting a free ride from Gerald? Why was he being so secretive? Or was I expecting too much from a person I considered as friend? Or perhaps I was just a bunkmate to him and nothing more?
People are selfish. Not all, but some.
After having several bad encounters with people I considered friends, I always remind myself that I must not commit myself 100% to a friendship. I do not wish to harm my friend. Conversely, I do not want myself to be harmed too. Consequently, I know I will not have any true friends if I maintain this belief. But do I need them?
No comments:
Post a Comment