Monday, August 07, 2006

Me, Frugal or Stingy?

I read with interest an online article "Are you frugal, or stingy?" by Liz Pulliam Weston. The article contains interesting examples of how often the things we do make us cross the line between frugality and stinginess. Now, I am beginning to wonder if what I had done in the past is enough to label myself a miser or spendthrift. Like love and hatred, frugality and stinginess is blurred by a thin line, for what I think.
"Mai Giam* lah," a female friend of mine said to me in Hokkien just recently, when I told her of a present that I had given to a girl on my first 'date'. I had contemplated for some time before I finally decided to do it. Not that I could not bear to give it to her but I had my concerns. "Would she think that I have some ulterior motives?", "Would I scare her away since it is just a 'normal' meeting and not any special occasion?" - these questions daunted me.


Mai Giam* - "Don't be stingy" in Hokkien

No comments: