Friday, August 18, 2006

Reefwalk at Kusu Island!

Last Saturday, 12 August, I went to Kusu Island with some NIE friends. It has almost been 16 years since I last went to the island with my mom and siblings, and perhaps my relatives. Anyway, I did not really feel like turning up for the reefwalk when I got to know that I had to report by 5.30am at Pasir Panjang Ferry Terminal. Because it turned out that I had to wake up an hour before! But what shocked me most was that the cab fare for the journey from my place to my destination cost S$ 19.20!!
Fortunately, I reached the ferry terminal without any mishap. My friends had a hard time convincing their taxi driver that he had driven them to the wrong place! I laughed with amusement when they said that the driver expressed his anxiety because they had brought him to a strange location. What an encounter! Perhaps taxi companies should spend more time and effort thinking of how to improve their service standards and not immerse themselves in finding ways or excuses to make the customers pay more for unacceptable service.
The journey to the island was approximately 20mins. Upon reaching, we were briefed by the person-in-charge and introduced to our island guides. There were 7 groups, with about 15 persons in each group. Our guide was Freddy, a skinny and humorous man. He told us that the walk could only be conducted at the North Lagoon, as the South Lagoon was too filled with silt. Frankly speaking, there was not much for us to see, except for some sponges, corals, crabs, seaweeds and sea stars. Sea stars? Freddy emphasized the umpteenth time, "Yes, they're called sea stars, not star fishs! Sea stars!"
Here is a picture of the Common sea star (Archaster typicus) which I had taken with my N80:












Yawn. Yawn. Yawn. I am getting tired now. I will probably post some more pictures when I get the images from my friend. That's all for tonight. Yawn.

No comments: