Thursday, September 20, 2007

Truly Undesirable Attitudes, Man!

a) If one of your group members is late for a group discussion for 1 hr 15 min, what would you do? How would you feel?

It happened to me on 4 September, Tuesday morning. We agreed to meet at the NIE library at 11 .30 A.M. As usual, I arrived some 10 minutes before the appointed time. A female member SMSed me that she and the other member were hungry and they wanted to grab a bite. Fine. Anyway, earlier on, I was told by another male member that he would be late too. So I took out my notes and plunged into them.

The girls came up eventually. One was sensitive enough to ask me if I was angry with them. I shook my head and told her not to ask any more, citing that I really would if she persist to probe any further. So they sat down and we decided to start our discussion without the other guy. Our discussion was coming to an end when I suddenly received an SMS from the fellow. He was still on the bus - 199. I glanced at my watch and shook my head. Should he have taken a taxi when he is late?

He arrived at 12.46 P.M. He smiled to us and sat down. We presented to him our suggestions which we had brainstormed while waiting for him. He looked at them and nodded. We then drafted the research proposal and delegated tasks. The girls wanted to do the CRITIQUE together and I had no objection. Then he said he wanted to write the CRITIQUE. Fine. I passed him the only resource book that we had. As we were packing, he looked at us with surprise, "You guys are leaving soon?"

(To be continued...)

No comments: