Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Trip to JB (Johore Bahru)

After the Maths survey (and a 60-minute test!) at the NTU LT 2A, Ryan and Will decided to go to JB for lunch. Yeah, lunch. By then, the weather was getting a little dark. But our ‘peh-peh’ rider was very determined to make a trip to that country – all so because he could fill up his tank. It took me a long time to decide if I should join them. Well, finally, to show my commitment, I agreed to go on the trip.

Because I did not have my passport with me, I had to return home first to collect it. Eventually, I invited Ryan to my house and poured him a cup of nice coffee. Like many other guests who had been intoxicated by the nice aroma of my mum’s coffee, he complimented on the coffee which Mum had brewed. Yeah, never in life my mum’s coffee has failed to earn praises from coffee drinkers!

We alighted at the Kranji MRT station and boarded bus 170. The journey was a short one and like what Ryan had promised, it took only 30 minutes to reach our destination. When we reached the Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration and Quarantine Complex (or Sultan Iskandar Complex), I was in awe of the cleanliness, spaciousness, orderliness and the contemporary architectural design of the building. Wow!

We went to Johore Bahru City Square and had some finger food while waiting for the ‘peh-peh’ rider. The shopping mall was very Singapore. What we have in Takashimaya and Plaza Singapura, they have it too. To an extent, it was kind of boring. And then just as I had predicted, Will lost his directions. When he finally arrived, Ryan took us to what he claimed the ‘master chef of Dian Xiao Er’ restaurant. Well, not really a restaurant, but an air-conditioned kopi-tiam which sells succulent duck meat stewed in Chinese herbs.

SNC00350

After lunch, we decided to chill out at OldTown White Coffee. So the three of us rested our tired bodies on the comfy seats and shared our memories from secondary school days. Just in case you are one of those curious kittens or pussies out there, the ‘kuai lan’ ‘yan dao gia’ above is the famed ‘peh-peh’ rider who used to be, according to the legend himself, an Ah-Beng reject. Sadly, he was also rejected by the industrious sort. Hmm… now I know why he prefers to teach delinquent students. 

No comments: